Friday, August 03, 2007

Shoe Stories

I find it so hard to get rid of things in my wardrobe.... Everything has some kind of sentimental value or a memory attached to it (also the hard earned money spent on it).... That's why I end of giving a lot of my things names...

Shoes of course take up a lot of room in my wardrobe....

The Cinderella Story and Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz really hit a note in the female psyche...that your future can change with just a change of shoes.... Things have never been the same....

As my regular readers already know, I have my very own 'Dorothy' shoes...


Besides my mini collection of red shoes, I also have these velvet red boots...



My goodness, I remember buying these boots as if it was yesterday. I was still studying in Perth, Western Australia, in my first year of University. I went into town with some friends on a weekend to go shopping. It was cold and drizzling. We were just browsing through the shops when I saw the shoes in the window. I stopped walking and stared. I went inside and asked to try them on. And I fell in love. They had these boots in 4 colours. Brown, black, blue and red. And they were having an offer of buy one get second pair half price. Reminding myself I am a poor student I gave them back to the sales girl and left the shop. But couldn't stop thinking about them....

My friends then started talking about how they wanted to go out partying and buy some alcohol to enjoy... Since I don't drink any alcohol and never have, I was horrified when I heard how much they were planning to spend on stuff that you won't be able to see within a few hours. I mean, you drink it, then it's gone right? Might as well I buy the boots!

So I did!

I bought a black pair and a red pair (now I wish I bought the blue pair too!).

My friends alcohol is long gone but my 'Ruby' boots (that's their name) still live on in my wardrobe! Proof, it was money well spent!

These shoes I named them 'Carrie', because my sister and I thought that they look like shoes that the iconic fashionable character Carrie Bradshaw would wear in the hit tv series HBO.



I remember one day I annoyed my sister about something. Either I did something or didn't do something... Can't remember now.

But what I DO remember is us sending each other annoying messages and suddenly sent me a message saying 'I'm going to wear your 'Carrie' shoes out in the mud!"

AAAAAAARGH!!!

At this point, I had to call her and try and reason with her about what it is she was annoyed with me....

She didn't end up wearing them in the mud, but I still wonder if she may have worn them around the house.... hmmmm.....

These shoes have a fascinating story....



I was out with my Mum's best friend in Australia two years ago now I think and she wanted to buy me a present..."But you're such a difficult person to buy for cause you have so much already!" she complained...

I don't need expensive things to make me happy. So I said to her that we can just go to the little vintage shop near her house and see if I see something there I like..

So we went.. and within 1 minute of walking into the store I saw these shoes....

Cool! I checked the price tag and couldn't believe it... My Aunty Barb bought them for me straight away.



When I got back home later, I was looking at the shoes more closely when I suddenly noticed the brand of the shoes....

Can you see it what it says?!



It says 'SASHA'!

Now what are the chances of that happening?!

These shoes have now earned themselves a special place in my wardrobe. I have never worn them cause I don't want my name on the shoes to rub out and I will never give them away.

When I was shooting "Beauty Secrets from the East" in jungle locations like you will see in the upcoming episode, I'm not wearing bling bling shoes like my 'Maple' shoes (named after Maple cause she gave them to me at her wedding)....


That's just insane to do that!

What I wear is these....

Black rubber knee high boots.


I bought these in Australia. They are called Wellingtons or either gun boots or gum boots (any Australians reading this please tell me if it 'gun' or 'gum' boots.)

I started wearing these kinds of boots when I was very young. About 5, when I used to visit my grandparents in Australia. My mother thought these were the most reliable, sturdy things a child could wear in cold, rainy weather. I remember having a yellow pair, a bright pink pair and a pair that looked like those rainbow flavoured and coloured Paddle Pop ice creams.

I only just started wearing these kinds of boots again, because everytime I attended TV3's Jom Heboh, It's sure to rain and whatever sneakers I wear get drenched and I spend the rest of the day feeling so uncomfortable.

Remembering how well they served me in my childhood, I bought them again.

When I was shooting "Beauty Secrets from the East in Cameron Highlands" all of the crew's shoes got so wet and muddy cause we literally had to walk in a foot deep stream at one stage.

I had no probelems at all because I wore the boots!

I would like to get a red pair of these rubber boots too.

And my mother tries to tell me to stop buying shoes or start giving away...

Why?

When all of them have a story behind them!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of all the shoes you modelled in this blog, the wellies (gumboot) without a doubt, looks best on you. Used to wear it myself long time ago, very comfy and waterproof especially in wet and muddy grounds.

Anonymous said...

omg!! I love your Carrie shoes! Where are they from?

Anonymous said...

I lurve, lurve, lurve your shoes story! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sasha, they're called GUMboots =D.

Sasha Bashir said...

to answer your question, my 'carrie' shoes were bought at Enzo Angiolini in ISetan at KLCC about 3 years ago...

Anonymous said...

Hi Sasha,

It's called gum boots.