Monday, August 27, 2007

A hairdressers visit with a Hollywood ending - I met Mel Gibson!


When I woke up this morning, I had only had 3 hours sleep cause I just came back from Pulau Perhentian to cover the Perhentian Island Challenge (I'll write about this later....)

I went to the office to follow up on several things, did a voice-over etc etc...same routine kind of things...

Because of all the sea and sun exposure, my hair was starting to resemble a bird's nest again...

So I decided to go to A Cut Above, at Bangsar Shopping Centre for a quick hair treatment....

Treatment all done, I start walking out of the hairdresser... and who do I see?

MEL GIBSON!

Yes, THE MEL GIBSON!

He casually walks in with a few people and asks to have his hair washed and cut....

Everyone just stood there with mouths gaping open....

Can this really be happening?!

As you can imagine, the front area of the hairdressers starts becoming a hive of whispers..

"Is it him? Are you sure? Really? Why is he here?" everyone was asking each other.....

And of all days, I didn't have my camera with me!

Not one to let a minor detail like this stop me, I rushed downstairs to the nearest photo shop and bought a throw away camera... I didn't care how much it cost! Lucky for me..not too much!

Ran back upstairs, asked for a piece of paper and marker pen from the hairdresser's reception and waited...

Felix, the lovely guy who usually does my hair was attending to Mel Gibson...

When he came out the front, I said to him.. "Felix, I really want to take a picture with him... How? Can ah?"

Felix answered..."Let me finish doing his hair first then you can...."

So I waited along with all the other hairdressers for him to finish..... I waited an hour.. I didn't dare go anywhere, not even to the bathroom cause I didn't want to miss the chance to take a photo with him!

Finally, hair all done.. he comes out.. everyone is waiting with their handphone cameras and me with my throw away one!

Felix introduces me to him...he is friendly and nice.... Some what star struck, the first thing I said to him was...

Me : "My mother is Australian too....." (yes, I know a bit of a stupid thing to say but I wasn't thinking straight!)

He chuckles and answers...

Mel Gibson - Oh yeah? Where from?

Me - Melbourne

Mel Gibson - But you work here?

Me - Yes I do....

Mel Gibson - What do you do?

Me - I work in television....

Mel Gibson - Oh wow... that must be good....

Me - Yes it is....

I politely ask to take a picture with him.... and Felix does....

I then politely ask for his autograph too....

Mel Gibson - "Wow.. you're prepared..."

He then signs the piece of paper I had ready for him...


He spelt my name correctly too and I didn't have to spell it out for him... Though I have no idea what the rest of it reads....



As soon as he finished, all of the hair dressers crowded around him to grab the opportunity of taking a picture with him....

He was very nice about the whole thing and smiled for everyone.....



Once that was done, he started making his way out....

In a few moments he was gone, as quickly as he appeared....

All of us in the hairdressers just stood there still shocked that Mel Gibson, major Hollywood star and producer could so casually walk into A Cut Above in Bangsar and have his hair washed and cut!

I quickly went back downstairs to the photo shop and asked to express develop the photos...

As I was waiting, I was praying that the photos would turn out ok and not somehow be destroyed in the printing process, because it has happened to me before...

Thankfully all ok and now I've had to take a picture of the pictures with my digital camera so I can put it up here.. that's why they are not so clear...no scanner available at this time..

I also kept the marker pen he used to autograph that piece of paper for me.. Sorry A Cut Above... I'll buy you a new one.. I won't be giving this one back!

Wow! I really was just in the right place at the right time...

Such is the beauty of life..... :)

18 comments:

sensei said...

Mel Gibson is in town????

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I cant believe he's in Msia!! At first I thot u're taking pictures with a wax figure of Mel Gibson! But he's for real! You're so lucky! I'd never imagined bumping into hollywood's actor in Msia! Which is really cool..~!! Well, you know how Australians are proud of him... :D

nana

EDDY PURNAMA said...

wow lucky you sasha...this brought me back memories of meeting joan collins @ alexis carrington in KLCC...no camera phone and also had no money to buy a throw away one....
the worst thing was not many believed me esp since i told them i saw her shopping in pasaray Tops (now cold storage)....if only i had proof...but serious...i did meet joan collins...

he looks a lot better than those mug shots weve been seeing of late..

Unknown said...

wow.. so lucky! by the way, what is Mel Gibson doing here in Malaysia?

Anonymous said...

hey sasha, got your sms and checked out yr blog. it is mel gibson, i thought u were delusioned. anyways, his autograph reads: sasha all da best
so have you descended from cloud no 9 yet? - Dian

Vernon Kedit said...

I live 5 minutes away from BSC. And you waited one hour for him to finish doing his hair. And then you only called me to tell me you met him AFTER he had left???

Putus kawan.

Bye.

Anonymous said...

didn't you asked him why was he here in malaysia? why was he here? work? pleasure? :")

Anonymous said...

when i was in form 3, i met marion n marit of M2M at subang parade.. they're promoting Puma clothes i think.. and yes! no camera, no pen, no papers, no nothing! stupid me! i could have bought their cd at speedy, but a 15 yr old girl at that time couldnt come up with sth..or anything! so i stood on the side, and when they came, i held my hand and managed to shake hands with them! :D

since then, i'll always bring my digicam wherever i go.. :P

justin timberlake's cming to melb this nov! i want to go, bu i cant! exams.. and i live 2 hours frm melb.. huwaaaa...~!! nana

the Razzler said...

Wow!! Sasha.. You are so lucky!! Bet you will never forget your camera from now on ... wherever you go!! :) :)

Anonymous said...

OMG!! I'm always a silent reader of urs but I cannot help it to loeave a comment on this one. Girl, you're soooooo lucky.

Remind me of the time me & frens saw Jeff Timmons(ex 98 degrees) when he came to Malaysia to promote his album. Had a glimpse of him at Zahid's & Frinds showcase at Planet Hollywood. The next day, at KLCC food court, we met him, AGAIN. and he came to our table and said hi and talked to us, but nobody had the slightest idea to take a photo with him. insane isn't it?

Anonymous said...

u lucky girl! a truly charismatic actor/director..love his early movies i.e. mad max series, lethal weapon series & braveheart among others..

-dizzturbed-

Anonymous said...

I just saw it on the news. He's staying with Dtk Vinod Sehkar. They're close friends and have some rainforest prject together.

NIKO75 said...

C.O.O.L.. Mel Gibson is in town and there's no publicity on him. That's weird!! Unlike me who just bumped into the tallest man in the world (seemy blog),you met a Hollywood star. Guess camera phone helps for this kind of emergency..

fajar said...

wow wee....!
lucky for you sasha. must be enjoying ur time after that. with a BIG smile on your face and thinking, I met MEL GIBSON. hehehe

Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

Dear sasha (Ann Landers),

After reading your posting, I told my colleague that he was in town and went to cut his hair. Sadly, they won't believed me even after I shown them the paper cuttings (The STAR today).
They even said that the photos you have taken is doctored!

So how? I dah tak tau nak buat apa apa ni.

Unknown said...

i also saw mel gibson at BSC just now! i was too shocked and surprised to do anything except to say "is that mel gibson ah?"

Anonymous said...

Hahaha.. "My mother is Australian too.....". I would have said the exact same thing, Sasha!

Anonymous said...

i think the one in the middle reads: "merdeka!"

eh?