Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Perth - Part 1 - My university

So where was I last week?

I was in one of my favourite places in the world.... Perth, Western Australia

Why is it one of my favourite places?

Because I spent almost 5 years of my life there while studying at university... I learnt so much about myself and it was during my time there that I learnt how to look after myself, be independant and make my own decisions...


The university I went to in Perth where I studied dance, acting and singing is the West Australian Academy of Performing Arts (aka WAAPA), a faculty of Edith Cowan University...


So while I was there, I decided to drop by... I have such fond memories of the place....

Below is a picture of me where I spent SO MANY HOURS learning the techniques needed to perform to the best of one's abilities.. known as Dance Studio 5.... day in day out, we would have to train our bodies beyond our comfort zone....


When I saw these dance students training in dance studio 1, images of myself doing the same things a few years ago came flooding back....



One of the things I loved so much about being at this university was all of the creative energy that was and still is there... people walking around with their musical instruments, scripts, ballets shoes.... the air is a constant buzz of activity and the energy just bounces off the otherwise cold brick walls... I JUST LOVE IT!

As I was walking through the corridors, I heard the familiar sound of music students rehearsing. So I stopped to watch and listen....

As I was sitting there, I noticed this student with two toned hair.



During my time there, everyone...including myself...changed hairstyles constantly... when you're pushing yourself creatively so much, one tends to get creative with their hair as well.. I will admit to you here and now that I've had blue black hair, purple black hair, red hair (like Nicole Kidman), deep burgundy, shoulder length hair, boy short hair, blonde streaked hair... but my favourite was the electric blue hair extensions I had at one stage....

come to think of it... I'm not sure if I have pictures of me with all these hairstyles...

Just for the record, the hair colour I have now is pretty much my natural hair colour :)

While I studied there I stayed on campus and lived in this little building... the window to the room I used to stay in is behind that big tree on the end of the top floor.... a really small room...


As I was alking around, I saw one of the staff who remembered me and we started talking..

"Do you know that you are one of our most succesful graduates?" she said....

That statement question/ statement freaked me out a bit... you see Hugh Jackman (yes THE Hugh Jackman who as acted in movies such as The Prestige - one of my favourite movies - and X-Men) is also a graduate from this university... I'm serious! He graduated I think about 2-3 years before I arrived....

So.. me... successful.... as compared to him? :)

Anyway, it's believed that 'comparison only brings unhappiness' (am I right sensei?:) ) ... and I am thankful, blessed and grateful for everything so far....

However, one should not rest on past achievements, there is always more...

As I left the university to get on the bus, the same bus number I took while I was there, I couldn't help but ask myself, "If you had a chance to speak to these students, what would you tell them?"

This is what I would tell them...

On the days when you feel like you just can't do it anymore, when every muscle in your body is screaming to stop, if you can just keep going, you will find a deep set strength and discipline you may never knew you had... and even though you may ask yourself, "Why am I doing this when it's just so !@@#%#^$% hard?!)..... It will, I promise you, pay off some way, some how, some day.... it will all make sense some day...

And I still believe, my finest day, is yet to come...

Yours will too...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

last part sungguh memberi inspirasi! kadang kala mengadap nota dan pergi kuliah memenatkan diri. :)

Vernon Kedit said...

Never, ever, think you've achieved success and then sit on your laurels and vegetate. The day that happens, I'll bitch slap you myself.

longwaytogo... said...

d last part, nearly made me drop my tears..:-( its applicable in life as well..as am in d process to leave n forget my B*%*#* F*#@&^# useless bf,tq for the motivation sasha..

longwaytogo... said...

as am in d process to leave n forget my B$@&*# F&*!$#* useless bf,d last part nearly made me drop my tears..tq 4 d motivation sha..

-irene- said...

i tagged u :p

Anonymous said...

wow..! u went to ur uni?? i've the plan in mind.. but hvent graduated yet :P

it feels great isnt it? mesti tringat balik all the memories left years ago.. laughing and chatting with frens.. having fun..and not to forget, all the loneliness, living far away frm family.. missing your home, familiy.. and msian food! being independence.. but i think it makes us a better person.. :)

i think i'll do what u've done in a few years in the future.. when i graduated.. then i'll visit melb again..

gonna miss my uni.. this is my last sem.. :(

-nana-

Anonymous said...

The good old days. Reminiscence of the past. It was the best time in my life, although it's not at that time. But true to what you said, it makes us what we are today.
-nodes