Thursday, November 08, 2007

Chicago in London


The hit musical 'Chicago' which was also made into a movie starring Renee Zelweger, Ctherine Zeta Jones and Queen Latifah is on here in Kl this weekend.

I've had the pleasure of seeing this show on stage live twice and when I was in London recently, I watched it for the third time because I was very, VERY curious to see how Kelly Osbourne, famous daughter of slightly crazy Ozzy Osbourne and Sharon Osbourne, would handle her role as Mama Morton.

For those who have seen the movie, Mama Morton was played by Queen Latifah.

Her singing wasn't bad at all, and it didn't make me want to run out of the theatre covering my ears. But I didn't feel her acting did the character any justice. Also, to be Mama Morton, you need to LOOK like a Mama Morton! Someone VERY authoritive and bossing the other girls around. The two leads looked older than her and so in scenes where she is trying to exert control and authority over a situation, it's very unconvincing. Queen Latifah just did it so well. In a way, I felt sorry for Kelly Osbourne cause she was way over her head. I think Sharon Osbourne, if she could sing half decently would have been a better choice.

No comments: